Another beet post, and another time I am bested by beets. This beet risotto is magical. Not only is it a marvelous color, but it is delicious on the day I made it and for days after as leftovers. AND to top it off, there is minimal cheese in it yet it is no less fantastic than a full cheese risotto. Healthier and more beautiful. Eat the rainbow!
This recipe comes from Deborah Madison. She is a vegetarian chef who was recommended to me by a friend and I treated myself to her cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I’ve made a few recipes so far and completely enjoyed them.
slightly adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
- 6 cups of vegetable stock (I recommend making this from scratch, I used the Deborah Madison recipe in her book as well, and once you get the hang of it you will be converted to making your own!)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion, white or yellow
- 1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I tend to use whatever I have)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups raw peeled and grated beets (about 2-3 medium beets)
- chopped beet greens, remove stems (use whatever comes with the beets)
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or Pecorino Romano)
- Bring the stock in a small pot to a simmer.
- Heat the butter is a large pot over medium, then add the onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, simmer until absorbed.
- Add 1 Tbsp of parsley, 2 Tbsp basil, all the beets and beet greens and add 2 cups of stock. Allow this to simmer until the stock is absorbed.
- Next begin adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time, stir frequently until completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup until only 1 cup remains of the stock. Taste the rice, if not cooked, add more stock using the above method until the rice is cooked through.
- Season with lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.