Mark Bittman is a great food writer for the New York Times. I was perusing the library book shelf in the vegan section and ran across his VB6 cookbook. I had not heard of this before and read his introduction which essentially is his way to eat healthier and reduce his meat intake…by eating vegan for breakfast and lunch each day (before 6pm)! I have been trying to decrease my meat intake also so I gave this recipe a try, plus some additions (feta cheese, yum!) which makes it vegetarian. I am in love with tortilla chips so I tend to enjoy eating with them instead of tacos, but these would also be great with some tortillas. Have fun eating beans for breakfast!
Breakfast Black Beans
adapted from VB6
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 1 bell pepper, chopped ( I prefer red, yellow or orange)
- 1-2 jalepenos, seeds removed and chopped (keep some seeds if you like spicy food)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3-5 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- tortilla chips (or tortillas if you prefer)
- Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and stir. Cook until vegetables soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, jalepenos, and chili powder and stir. Continue to let soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and lime juice. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the cilantro, scallions and feta cheese. Combine until heated through.
- Serve with tortilla chips and extra feta cheese if desired.